Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Story- Part IV

It was a long night, but once the induction began we didn’t cry. In fact, we joked a bit and reminisced about the labors of our other children. JD slept some and I watched him. I couldn’t pray that night. I thought a lot about my mom who had died 17 months previously. I asked her to take care of my baby, to hold him tight and sing to him so he would always know how very much I loved him.
Early the next morning, I woke JD. “It hurts- I’m so uncomfortable now.” He called the nurse. She and the midwife checked me – 9.5 centimeters.
“Almost time.” They left to call the chaplain.
Almost immediately I felt the overwhelming urge to push. I moaned to JD to get the nurse. She came quickly.
“Please. Can I push now? I need….”
“Oh – let me get Janet quick.”
JD took my hand. “I don’t want to do this. I’m scared.” I said.
“I know. Me too.” He kissed me on the forehead.
Janet and the nurse arrived and I started pushing. It didn’t take long.
“There’s his head” I heard “You need to push hard for the shoulders.”
I felt his body slide out of mine and began to sob. It was the only sound in the room.

No comments: